Plans have been lodged for a mixed-use ‘Royal Canal Square’ scheme at Broombridge Industrial Estate.
Woodberry Printing Ltd has submitted plans to Dublin City Council for work to commence on a 5.63 acre site in Dublin’s northside, consisting of both commercial and residential developments.
The plans submitted propose the demolishing of all existing warehouse/factory/office buildings on-site and constructing four-block-development ranging from 16 storeys high and consisting of 14 retail units, a hotel and a creche.
An office/remote-working or co-working space is also proposed as well as 304 residential apartments among the four different blocks.
Of these apartments, 71 will be one-bedroom, 130 will be two-bedroom and 103 will be three-bedroom.
Block D, the highest proposed construction at 16 storeys, will include the hotel of 100 rooms from the ground to the sixth-floor and from the thirteenth to fifteenth-floor level.
A restaurant, bar and reception area are planned for ground level and a gym, meeting, conference room and staff rooms at first-floor level.
Recreational areas such as a spa, pool, games room and a multi-purpose hall are also set for the thirteenth to fifteenth-floor level.
Commerical use is set to make up 64.5% of the development while the remaining 35.5% will be allocated to residential use.
A decision on the project is due this November.
Woodberry Printing Ltd has also requested provisions for further vehicular, pedestrian and cycle connections among the west, south and east sides of the site.
In the planning report submitted to the council, Kevin Hughes of Hughes Planning and Development Consultants likened the project to the existing Grand Canal Square in Dublin’s docklands.
Mr Hughes wrote that the development will bring “hundreds of jobs” into the area and “breathe life into this dated industrial area of the city which has been under-utilised and earmarked for redevelopment for a number of years”.
“This ambitious plan will deliver a best-in-class employment destination, balanced by a vibrant new living quarter that will not only transform but future-proof this area of Dublin 11.”